Wednesday 27 May 2015

Book review: 'Halo'

Due to popular demand*, I have begun a new series of posts reviewing books.

*By "popular demand' I mean one person has asked me to do review books but she asked me more than once so that counts right? Plus I do often get asked by people for book recommendations, so here goes.


Halo by Alexandra Adornetto 

Halo is a young adult book, written by an Australian author, set in a coastal town in the US. While it is targeted at young adult readers, it is a full length novel (around 400 pages in my version) and has enough depth to very easily be classified as an adult read.

The book centrals around Bethany (Beth) Church, an angel sent to Earth along with her siblings, Gabriel and Ivy, to masquerade as humans to fulfill a special mission. It is important to note that these are not fallen angels, but rather they are sent to make the world a better place. It is Beth's first mission to Earth and she is inexperienced in the depth of human emotions, senses, and the need to maintain a physical body. In an effort to assimilate, Beth attends the local high school and this, of course, leads to her forming very human relationships. This is all occurring alongside dangers that are most definitely not human.

This description gives the impression that the story is full of cliche morals, but this is not the case. The story line hits the balance between discussing boundaries without making it seemingly obvious, and manages to discuss religion subtly in a way that does not seem religious at all. It is very much a  story about relationships of types: sibling relationships, parent-child relationships, friendships, loyalty to ones own beliefs, and romantic relationships.




I am always reading at least 2 books. There is always one that lives in my work bag (aka 'train reading') and one that lives by my bed (aka 'bed reading). Halo was one of those rare books that crossed the line between both. I was so absorbed in this book that it actually moved with me between realms. Not only that, I went straight online and ordered the next two books in the trilogy.

Buglet and Tink are also planning on reading Halo so I will provide an update when, and if, they do.

Disclaimer:
  • It is doubtful I am qualified to give parenting advice, there is still time for me to stuff up.
  • No-one actually asked me to review this book, I just liked it so I thought I would share
  • I would suggest trying the book yourself rather than just trusting my opinion on it.
  • I am not even allowed to give legal advice without supervision.
I would recommend finding more reliable sources for any advice of any nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment