Tuesday 17 March 2015

Luck of the Irish

In case you haven't noticed, I do adore celebrating events. If you haven't noticed, you probably will now.

Today was a little busy, which made celebrating St Patrick's Day a little tricker than usual. No boozey night, no home made green cupcakes,  and no green beer at lunch for me.

However this did not stop the celebrations. I found some green beads and a green earrings which matched my Court-appropriate work clothes.


St Patrick's Day Lunch
I also found a suitable St Patrick's Day lunch. Now the cynical amongst you may be asking why sushi is a good lunch for St Patrick's day. My reasoning: it is white, green, and orange(ish). If you squint there is a orange tinge on the outside of the pork. Also one of my favourite books by one of favourite (Irish) authors is Marian Keye's 'Sushi for Beginners'. See. Told you it was perfect.

I made an effort to be home to have dinner with the girls. Like a massive proportion of Australians, we claim Irish history on my (Catholic) father's side. I thought I would be a good mother and celebrate our cultural heritage with them

The evening did not get off to a good start. Tink expressed amazement that I was on my way home from work at 5.40pm "when dancing doesn't start until 8". Just for the record, I technically finish work at 5pm. (Note to self: leave work on time more often).

Dinner. At some random point today I decided that breakfast-for-dinner would be a good St Patrick's Day celebration. Someone unkindly asked if that was because they were backwards, but I chose to ignore that.

I am not exactly sure why I decided it was a good Irish dinner. I think it was because I was trying to think of something with potatoes and then I thought of hashbrowns. Hashbrowns made me think of bacon. In my head bacon is vaguely Irish. I associate cabbage with Ireland and the potato famines. Mum used to put bacon in the cabbage and insist it made the cabbage taste like bacon. It didn't. It just made the bacon taste like cabbage. Blerg.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed that trip through my thought process. Does the Pixie make a little more sense now?

Oh, and in case you were wondering where the green was for dinner, there was pine-lime icecream for dessert. There had to be some green in there.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.
(traditional Gaelic blessing)

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone!

PS I love that blessing. Mum and Dad have it up in their house.

 Disclaimer:

  • It is doubtful I am qualified to give parenting advice, there is still time for me to stuff up.
  • I am not qualified to give advice on Irish traditions.
  • I am not qualified to give cooking advice.
  • I am not even allowed to give legal advice without supervision.
I would recommend finding more reliable sources for any advice of any nature.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment