Sunday 8 June 2014

Bribery and corruption

Tomorrow I have two assessable practice hearings and that are worth a large percentage of my grades.

This is how I spent my day.

Morning was Tink's soccer. I only very rarely miss a game and that is either when I am away or I am driving another child somewhere. I figure if all I can do is be there, that is what I can do. I will learn the rules at some point so I know what is going on. Not until August though. Sometimes the games are for catching up with friends or family. Sometimes I study. Sometimes it is quiet time for me to read beforehand and during the breaks. It is always a chance to get some fresh air and often some sunshine.

Today the plan was to drop off Tink, then vacuum the car out and walk the dog while she warmed up.

In reality, I got there and realised we were early. Tink came with me to vacuum the car which was lucky because I forgot that Flip-Flop doesn't like vacuum cleaners. (In case you are wondering how I forgot, I never do the vacuuming. The girls tend to do that). Flip-Flop then got her walk, and I got a bacon and egg burger (another bonus to soccer days). Tink's team won 5-2. This is slightly awkward because I thought they drew 2 all. I was watching! I don't know how I missed that one. I do know what a goal is.

The other two don't always come with me. Pixie has to come if it is an away game, but usually the deal with Buglet is that if she doesn't come and watch her sister play if she does the dishes or something else that needs doing while I am out. I figure this is fair.

Pixie wasn't feeling well this morning so I left her at home with Buglet. This meant she slept in. She also had a nap with me when I came home from soccer. This meant she was feral this afternoon.

There is a fine line with our Pixie; too much sleep and she is impossible, and too little sleep and she is impossible.

That is how the following story occurred.

I had a naggy, whiny, annoying, bored child. I don't deal well with bored children especially when I am trying to study. I don't believe in being bored (except in exceptional circumstances) so they get very little sympathy from me.

The Pixie comes creeping up behind me, while I was trying to write submissions.

Me: You need to get out the house don't you?
Pixie: Flip-Flop just threw up.
Me: What?!
Pixie *sings*: Hush my Mama, don't you cry, Pixie's gonna make you feel better with pie. Not really but it rhymed. Pixie doesn't want Mama to be a stressaling.
Me: What happened?
Pixie: She just threw up. Grass and pancakes and stuff. Should puppies eat pancakes?

I bribed her with the rest of my study Twisties to leave me alone and be good for another hour, and clean up the vomit.

Pixie cleaned up the mess then proceeded to use some of the Twisties to try and bribe Tink to take her for a bike ride.

Tink: You just had to teach her about bribing didn't you.
Pixie *sternly*: Don't stressel Mama out or her assignment will go horribly wrong. Are you stresselled Mama?
Tink: If we walk to the shops can we pick out something for dinner all by ourselves? And then you can pick us up.

Tink took pity on me at this point. They walked to the shops so they could pick what they wanted and I met them there forty minutes later. I am not sure how they convinced Buglet to do it, but she is now cooking the dinner, and may I say it smells great.

Some days, this is how I do it: bribery and corruption, extreme sugar (for me) and whatever it takes to get me through.

Luckily I received a delivery package of emergency study supplies!



I know I keep saying it, but I am so, so, so thankful for the family and friends who are there to support me and keep me sane.

For those of you who are worried about my parenting, I am telling myself it is all about teaching them negotiation skills. I don't give in to whining. We also had a big conversation in the car about which vegies to get for snacks.

For those of you who are worried about my sugar levels, these are extreme study exceptions! I am not usually this bad.

For those of you who are worried about my lack of attention to concentrate on study, this is reasonable. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!
 


2 comments:

  1. Stop reading this and study :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sprung! *blushes* but blogging is so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete